[OM] Reply to Wayne S Re: [OT] Digital

Subject: [OM] Reply to Wayne S Re: [OT] Digital
From: "Bolty" <boldbolty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 16:58:34 +1000
Forget the 300D for manual focus in low light. I have just bought the 300D,
its a very good camera for the price (Australia has a cash back offer at the
moment which swayed me in making the descision! Especially since I am
selling off some of my gear and I have 3 weddings and a funeral...errr...
formal shoot by the end of this year! SO the kit will be well and truely
paid for by November!)

But back to your question. I find the view finder too small to make critical
manual focusing in low light... just cant see enough detail to know where
the point of focus is and I guess because I dont have fast lenses that the
screen is also a little dark... I too wish you could get interchangable
screens for use for manual focusing!

On the digital debate. I dont think it matters what camera you have. As long
as it can produce the quality of images that you are after and you find it
easy to use and gives you contol that you are after, then that is all that
matters to me!

The great thing about digital is that I can experiment to my hearts desire.
I am now currently using the kit to build up a portfolio of work of stock
images around my area. The good thing is that if the photos dont sell...
well... at least it hasnt cost me anything! Also, I feel much more confident
in taking on work that would have been classed more studio or commercial
type of work because I can see what I get straight away and if I need to
make adjustmentsthen I can do that on the fly! Means that I can minimise
mistakes and I dont have to worry about going back to retake the whole thing
again!

Another example of where digital excells is when you have set your camera up
incorrectly! I just got a roll back of Provia 100F which I put through the
OM-4. I had set the ISO dial incorrectly and over exposed the whole roll by
a full stop! Add the cost of film then processing and mounting and there is
a big waste of money! Don't get me wrong. I will still be shooting film but
my digi will always be there as a test pollaroid for me so I can try and
eliminate mistakes!

Cheers Adam