[OM] Re: Reply to Wayne S Re: [OT] Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: Reply to Wayne S Re: [OT] Digital
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 02:01:36 -0700
Bolty wrote:

>But back to your question. I find the view finder too small to make critical
>manual focusing in low light... just cant see enough detail to know where
>the point of focus is and I guess because I dont have fast lenses that the
>screen is also a little dark...

One of the corners they cut with the 300D is in the viewfinder. The 10D
and all their other DSLRs use actual pentaprisms. The 300D uses a set of
little mirrors in a frame to act like a pentaprism, but it doesn't
conduct quite as much light. I couldn't see any real difference in
normal light, the eye adjusts, but it likely makes a difference for
manual focus in low light, esp., as you note, with slow lenses. It was
one of the compromises I cheerfully accepted. I don't do much low light
shooting and the AF works down to complete darkness with assistance from
the flash acting as AF assist light. I figure select a single AF point,
put it on the object of focal interest and let the camera do its job. I
haven't used it seriously yet, but it works fine just fooling around.

By the way, as a 300D owner, you should take a look at the actual
coverage area of the AF spots, which are larger than the marked areas in
the viewfinder
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page17.asp>. The whole
discussion ws useful to me.

Moose