[OM] Re: Reply to Wayne S Re: [OT] Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: Reply to Wayne S Re: [OT] Digital
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 10:40:51 -0400
At 02:58 AM 8/7/2004, you wrote:
><...>
>Another example of where digital excells is when you have set your camera up
>incorrectly! I just got a roll back of Provia 100F which I put through the
>OM-4. I had set the ISO dial incorrectly and over exposed the whole roll by
>a full stop! Add the cost of film then processing and mounting and there is
>a big waste of money! Don't get me wrong. I will still be shooting film but
>my digi will always be there as a test pollaroid for me so I can try and
>eliminate mistakes!
>
>Cheers Adam

Now see Adam - you get one of those auto digi-thingys, where the only
result of setting an incorrect ISO is more noise, and you start to
loose your ability to operate a real camera. Pretty soon you'll be
wondering why it is taking so long to write to the film when in fact
you just forgot to wind the film with that little lever on top of the
camera.

But if you think film cost is a problem, I just purchased a 2gb Sandisk
ultra II - $350. If you start to shoot events, you're going to need
several of them. Unless you find something you can really trust to
quickly back them up on. But then I shoot raw most of the time - 10.4mb
per image gives ~ 190 shots on 2gB. And for some reason the trigger
finger seems to click off the shots more... I would probably need half
a dozen cards....

Wayne

ps. thanks for the feedback on manual focus.