[OM] Re: Cosgrove Northamptonshire #4

Subject: [OM] Re: Cosgrove Northamptonshire #4
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 11:51:23 -0700
You can do filters in PSCS with more control than in the field if you
shoot color film (or use DC color image). To get real control, don't
work on the original image layer:

- Create an adjustment layer for the filter. Layer > New Adjustment
Layer > Photo Filter, select the filter color, which can be changed
later, and choose OK.

- Create a second adjustment layer. Layer > New Adjustment Layer >
Hue/Saturation, pull the saturation slider all the way to the left and
choose OK.

- Double click on the Photo Filter Layer to change filter characteristics.

You now are set up so that whatever you do to the Photo Filter Layer
changes the color before it is changed to B&W. You can not only select a
filter color, but choose how strong it is and whether it changes overall
luminosity or not. You can also easily compare the effect with and
without by turning layer visibility on and off with one click of the mouse.

To compare the effects of 2 different filter colors on an image, you can
create 2 Photo Filter layers under the Hue/Saturation layer, set each up
with the other not visible, then switch between them to judge the
effect. Even if you plan to actually shoot B&W film with a physical
filter, this could be a good way to learn what a new filter color is
going to do for you before using it. Practice on a color image of a
subject similar to what you plan to shoot.

Moose