[OM] Re: Common Spotted Orchid

Subject: [OM] Re: Common Spotted Orchid
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 14:28:03 -0500
At 10:14 AM 8/8/2004 +0100, Graham you wrote:
>p.s. The lady's slipper orchid is so rare in Britain that it is only known
>to exist in a single site in Yorkshire and for a recent article in a
>national newspaper they had to get special permission to photograph it.

One of the reasons I wondered about whether they were under cultivation is
that I had heard of this one last rare orchid in Mother Britain.  My wife's
are all hybridized versions from growers here and there, not one of which
actually tries to preserve a native species in its real but more homely
demeanor.  I do know a place about 25 miles away where I can see real wild
lady slippers in May, but they aren't quite as special as the one you refer to.

Thanks for the information on cuckoo spit.  I'm sorry I asked. ;^) (No I'm
not.)

Joel W.