[OM] Re: Doing it RAW

Subject: [OM] Re: Doing it RAW
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 13:46:34 -0700
W Shumaker wrote:

>If you only do a few things, with no repetition, there is no
>difference. With layers you can go back and redo an adjustment layer,
>always working from original data. If not, once you make an adjustment,
>the truncation error can accumulate.

This is certainly true

>However, if you do the exact same set of adjustments in the same order, with
>or without layers, it may not matter.

I believe this is true too.

>I'm not sure if photoshop's compute engine works with 32 bit integers and
>truncates back to 8 bit between each layer application, or at the end?

I am pretty sure PS works at the bit level of the image. There is a
considerable time difference for adjustments on 8 and 16 bit versions of
the same image. Also, if it did it at a higher bit level, all the gaps
and doubling up in the histogram wouldn't look the way they do working
in 8 bit.

A simple way to get the result of working at 16 bit until finished is to
convert to 16 bit at the start. There is no more actual data, but there
is something to fill in the gaps and it will all smooth out better when
dropped back to 8 bit, I believe. Certainly not as good as working with
real 16 bit, but should help where you are doing a lot of adjustments.

Moose