[OM] Re: ( OM ) scanning negs and Scala

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) scanning negs and Scala
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 07:00:54 -0500
Hi Brian,

At 09:49 PM 8/9/2004 +1200, you wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Just like having a darkroom for the first time. Well, nearly.
>
>With the helpful intervention of my paid computer technician, finally my
>"new"
>7 years old HP Photosmart scanner bought on you-know-where from
>somebody in California who would sell to USA only, has been persuaded to
>install.
>
>I have just scanned some of the PanF photo negatives I took 50 years ago
>and never had printed. Very interesting, what I did with my first roll of B&W.
>
>However, I am part-way through shooting a few rolls of Scala, the B&W
>positive film. This means that that blacks show as blacks and whites show
>as whites.
>
>The Photosmart, when it detects B&W media, inverts the densities, so that
>clear areas on the negative come out black and vice versa. Which is exactly
>what I won't want with Scala. I will want black to scan as black and white as
>white. (This wouldn't suit our politicians here in NZ who will argue black is
>white and have everybody believe it too).
>
>Of the image editing programs I have, only Embellish will do an invert (ie
>undo what the Photosmart will do to Scala).
>
>Does Photoshop do it too?  Adobe Photo Deluxe doesn't have that tool.

Invert is a very import tool in Photoshop, yes indeed.  I used it once
successfully to more or less save a roll of Provia that was put through
C-41, but it is useful for more ordinary things too.

>If I can scan the Scala transparencies, not only can I avoid scanning ALL the
>shots, but I can avoid the rather large costs associated with commercial
>scanning, and get exactly the scan resolution I wish.
>
>Cheers, Brian

You should probably take a look at Vuescan (http://www.hamrick.com), which
will extend your capabilities with this scanner quite a lot, including I
believe a way to scan BW transparencies directly.  Vast number of
improvements over the native HP software.

Joel W.