[OM] Re: Spirit levels.

Subject: [OM] Re: Spirit levels.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:01:36 -0700
Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Gareth,
>Buy the spirit level.  Get one that has two separate levels for the two axes
>(some of your landscape pictures could be in portrait orientation!) The level
>on my tripod (Manfrotto 410 geared head) is a circular one and I find it
>useless in most circumstances.

I rather like circular levels, and the one on the 410 head works pretty
well for me. I can't imagine a flash shoe mounted unit being an
improvement, since the base of the camera is more carefully aligned with
the film than the flash shoe is likely to be. The 3047 head has large
individual levels for the 2 axes, but is harder to adjust exactly level
than the 410.

Wayne Harridge wrote:

> Yes, the shoes are close to level, but not good enough for
> architectural work in my experience. I was looking at a nice shoe
> mounted level (Hama brand) in a photographic supplier last weekend and
> was amazed at the price $AU60+ !

Yes, I found the prices of these little plastic thingies outrageous. I
found a nice new/old stock one with circular levels for portaiit and
landscape orientations on the 'Bay for US$13.

Skip Williams wrote:

>Buy it, it's the easiest way to level your camera on a tripod or by hand, IME.
> I have one with two axes that was about $30-40. I wouln't be without it.  IMO
>the best solution is what I use, a Kaidan head + the one in the hot shoe.  The
>bubble level on the Kaidan head is cantilevered out on a long bar, so it's
>more sensitive as it's rotated.

I can see how the levels work to set the head, but how do you make sure
the camera body is square to the head? Looking at the pictures, it looks
like there is nothing to keep a heavy lens, etc. from moving the camera
orientation relative to the bracket. One of the frustrations of the
Bogen 410 is that the direction it moves for portrait sets it up so that
camera/lens weight applies torque in the direction that loosens the
mounting screw. Of course, you can mount the camera pointing the "wrong"
way, but that puts the adjustments on the other side of the tripod and
becomes quite non-intuitive

Moose