[OM] Re: OT dynamic range of DSLRs

Subject: [OM] Re: OT dynamic range of DSLRs
From: R.Jackson <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 03:56:35 -0700
On Aug 12, 2004, at 3:31 AM, Moose wrote:

> I keep finding things I want to understand better so I can use my
> equipment more knowledgeably and effectively. So I've heard a bit of
> discussion on the list and maybe even the slightest occasional
> disagreement, about the effective exposure range of DCs vs film.

Interesting experiment, Moose. Here's something I don't understand,
though...people talk about latitude in video being directly related to
bitrate. As you progress from 8-bit to 10-bit to 14-bit the usable
latitude improves. Cameras now are even starting to internally process
at 14-bit before compressing to a lesser bitrate for storage and I
understand that in video it comes down to unmanageably large data
streams. That's not really the case in still photography, though.
Wouldn't a portrait photographer not care if he couldn't take another
photo for 30 seconds as long as he could shoot at 14 or 16-bit
latitudes? I don't get why it's taking so long to get digital cameras
with the same kind of latitude as negative films. Or am I missing some
crucial point?