[OM] Re: Spirit levels.

Subject: [OM] Re: Spirit levels.
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:36:23 -0500
At 01:35 PM 8/12/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>Oh, and the 405 has three circular levels, one for each axis.  I rarely
>even look at them.  If the scene looks level in the viewfinder, that's
>good enough for Walt Work.  Sometimes what's really level doesn't look
>level to me.  Of course, I'm keenly aware that some of you think I'm
>pretty much always about a bubble and a half off level anyway.
>
>Walt

I use a spirit level all the time and ignore it most of the time.  The most
compelling circumstance for rejecting the spirit level's burden on my puny
aesthetic judgment was at the Grand Canyon last spring.  My brother (who is
known to say "Always trust your bubble") and I both stood there, looked at
the level, then looked at the sloping horizon in the viewfinder and said,
"No way."

As to whether the shoes in the OM cameras are parallel to the film plane --
I don't have one that I believe is.  The fact that one of the common
repairs in a CLA on an OM-2S or OM-4 is to cinch down the loosening shoe
suggests to me that Olympus gave this very little consideration.  I would
have more faith if  1) the camera were German or  2) made of molded plastic.

Joel W.