[OM] Re: Advanced light metering (was: Introduction Simon Worby)

Subject: [OM] Re: Advanced light metering (was: Introduction Simon Worby)
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:07:23 +0100
Moose

Nice explanation, but I think (unless I misunderstand you) you mean 2
stops more for the Hilight button and 3 stops less for the Shadow.  For
instance, if you allowed 3 stops *more* for the Shadow you would be
tending towards exposing *for* the shadow tones and you don't want
that.

Chris

On 12 Aug 2004, at 9:51, Moose wrote:

> Welcome Simon!
>
> The Highlight and Shadow buttons deal with situations that neither
> averaging nor spot can handle. An incident meter can easily handle
> them,
> but Oly added another method that takes advantage of their spot meter
> and requires no additional equipment.
>
> Highlight is for situations like those houses some architects like,
> where virtually everything is brighter than neutal gray. Use an
> averaging meter and it all comes out gray in the slide. With the OM-3/4
> metering system, you can take a spot reading on the brightest thing in
> the room and press the highlight button. The camera will then set an
> exposure about 2 stops less than the spot reading, making sure the
> measured area comes out white, with all other tonal values falling in
> place below that, regardless of whether there are any dark areas at
> all.
>
> Shadow is for those pictures of a black cat in a dark basement, just
> the
> opposite of Highlight. Spot meter a spot you want to come out black,
> press the Shadow button, and the camera adds about 3 stops to the spot
> reading. Of course experienced photographers with their wits about them
> can do this with exposure compensation (plus film speed adjustment to
> get to 3 stops for shadows), but the buttons certainly are easier,
> quicker and less prone to silly errors or forgetting to return setting
> to normal before further shots. Also, it is obviously set up for the
> roughly 5 stop range of densities of the slide films used at the time
> of
> the camera's design. Use it with color neg films and send it through
> automated process/print and they will carefully try to adjust back to a
> 'normal' exposure. But they will do that with carefully incident light
> metered shots too. :-)
>
> Moose

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker