[OM] Re: OT dynamic range of DSLRs

Subject: [OM] Re: OT dynamic range of DSLRs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:48:47 -0700
Dorothée Rapp wrote:

>Certainly impressive!
>You know, you played a bit with some of my first pics of Hombroich. I
>got inspired :)

How nice!

>Meanwhile I learned some more (and really not difficult) tricks with PS.
>So the use of lasso and magic wand.
>I tried the magic wand to keep your gladiola from the first (leftish)
>picture untouched

I actually selected the flowers in reverse, using the magic wand to
select the dark areas, then selecting the remaining bits with the lassoo
and square selection tools. Then I inverted the selection to select the
flowers.

>and just used Strg-L for the background. Shifted all to the left and out came
>this:
>
>http://www.doro-foto.de/moosedr.jpg

Much harder for you to really bring up the background because the JPEG
is only 8 bit and I was working in 16. I went the long way around,
reconverting the RAW image, to push the limits of what detail could be
recovered. Trying Shadow adjustment now, I can bring up more in the 16
bit image that you could in 8 bit, but without the quality of color,
tone and detail I got from the reconversion. Of course, I'm looking at
full size 16 bit files too, it is less clear in the downsampled JPEGs.

>I'll delete it this evening or as soon as you want.

doesn't bother me one way or another.

>Also a little bit artificial looking but it was very crude work from my
>part.
>Anyway, this pixel-playing is fun :)

Yes, and there is still so much more to learn. I think PS may be a
bottomless pit. :-)

Moose