[OM] Re: OT dynamic range of DSLRs

Subject: [OM] Re: OT dynamic range of DSLRs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 23:27:06 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:

>I am amazed at the versatility in CS of the new shadow/highlight tool
>to do something similar with a lot less work.

It certainly is a powerful and useful tool. I could not get results in
the shadows with it from the first image that were as good as the
combination I did. With a more "normal" exposure and by using a higher
contrast setting, I could have gotten all the data into the one file so
the Shadow tool could bring it up. However, I didn't want to do that, as
I wanted as much tonal range as possible up in the highlights to capture
all the subtle details in the petals. You can see what I was after here
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/CRW_0195sam.jpg>.

This wasn't really the perfect test of latitude, as I very carefully
exposed to avoid losing anything to highlight blow out. In a planned
test, I would have had slightly more exposure, since I know RAW
conversion can recover about a stop of highlight info above what the
camera shows as lost and which is indeed is lost in a JPEG.

I forgot to mention in my reply to Chris that there is apparently
another technique using a combination of some sort of a normal RAW
conversion and another done with linear mapping, which only some
converters do. I don't believe PS has that option. Fred Miranda has a
plug-in to do that to some Can*n RAW images to increase highlight tonal
differentiation/range and saem blown highlights.

Moose