[OM] Re: Flash stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash stuff
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:43:01 -0400
Moose has it right.  These PC to hot shoe adapters:
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=95414&is=REG>
are made in India or China, cost about USD 10 and are available in most
any camera shop (at least in the US).  There are also branded units
which can cost USD 30-40.  Simply slide the flash foot of the adapter
into your flash bracket and attach the PC cord (make sure it's long
enough) to the camera.

If you pick the right one you will also find that it has a tripod
mounting screw hole on the bottom as well as a foot for the camera or
bracket shoe.

I have one of these PC to hot shoe adapters along with a TTL Auto
Connector T20 and two optical slave trigger shoes (similarly priced
cheap imports) attached to a piece of flat aluminum bar stock with short
1/4-20 screws via their tripod mounting sockets. The two hotshoe
adapters are attached to the top of the bar and the two slave triggers
are installed upside down on the bottom of the bar with their optical
windows facing forward.

I attach the aluminum bar to a light stand via a 1/4" hole in its center
to a Manfrotto umbrella adapter (about USD 20).  When setup for two or
more flashes the two T-32's on the top are joined and sync'd by a short
TTL cord between them.  If I am using an OM camera the sync cord is a 2
or 5 meter TTL cord between the camera and the TTL Auto Connector T20.
If I am using a non-OM camera the sync cord is a standard PC extension
cord attached to the PC to hot shoe adapter.

This setup allows me to fire one to four T-32's using either an OM or
other camera.  I have always used this rig by firing through an umbrella
which relects lots of light to trigger the optical slaves.  I'm sure
that the slaves would also fire without the umbrella in a large room.
I've never tried to use it without umbrella in a large hall or outdoors
so I don't know the limits of the optical slaves.

ps:  By test with a flash meter this rig equals a 50-100-200 watt second
Lumedyne in light intensity and angle of coverage.  A single T-32
matches the Lumedyne at 50 watt seconds, two T-32's match at 100 watt
seconds and, of course, 4 T-32's match it at 200 watt seconds.  The
Lumedyne, however, will blow it away on recycle time. :-)

Good luck,
Chuck Norcutt