[OM] Re: Dynamic range of Provia 100F, was ... DSLRs

Subject: [OM] Re: Dynamic range of Provia 100F, was ... DSLRs
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:48:49 +0100
Thanks Winsor

But Moose used 2 different interpretations, for want of a better
description, of the same image.  I merely adjusted the various levels
with the wonderful PS tool Shadow/Highlight.

It's OK, I am not totally closed to the idea that Moose might be right
... but my experience with my only digital machine, compared with my
lovely slides (at least some them are gorgeous) tells me otherwise at
present.  Interestingly, the staff of Amateur Photographer are of my
opinion, at present at least.

Chris (for whom the discussion is at least as interesting as the
conclusion ... ;-))
On 13 Aug 2004, at 18:17, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> Very nicely done, Chris. You have to admit though that Moose brought up
> lots more detail.
>
> I wonder what the G5 version of the shot would look like?  :-)
>

> Winsor
> Long Beach, California
> USA
> On Aug 12, 2004, at 11:41 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
>

>> Winsor
>>
>> Thanks for pointing out that wonderful tool.  You cannot invent pixels
>> that are not there, but it is great for adjusting the
>> foreground/background balance in the contre-jour photos that I take.
>> It has done wonders for a digital shot that I took.
>>
>> But here is a shot on Provia 100F; it is poorly composed, but the
>> window framed the couple watching the sun go down on Galway Bay ("If
>> you ever go across the see to Ireland").  I did not worry, when
>> composing the shot, that the window and inside of the pub would be
>> underexposed.  Using that wonderful tool, I have in one stroke
>> increased the detail in that shadow.  Please ignore the resulting
>> reflections on the inside of the window glass.
>>
>> http://www.threeshoes.co.uk/Dy_range_Provia100F.htm
>>
>> The slide was scanned on a Minolta Scan Elite 5400 at 16 bits, but the
>> image file was reduced to 8 bits (80-odd Mb) before any adjustment,
>> then reduced to 600 pixels in height using the Bicubic Sharper method.
>> You can see that I have carried out no other sharpening.
>>
>> How's that for dynamic range? ;-)

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.