[OM] Re: Dynamic range of Provia 100F, was ... DSLRs

Subject: [OM] Re: Dynamic range of Provia 100F, was ... DSLRs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:51:16 -0700
Chris Barker wrote:

>Thanks Winsor
>
>But Moose used 2 different interpretations, for want of a better
>description, of the same image.  I merely adjusted the various levels
>with the wonderful PS tool Shadow/Highlight.

I've added that form of adjustment to the right side of my comparison
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/CRW_0195x4.jpg>. Be sure to set your
browser to 100% size. You will need to scroll horizontally to see
everything.

>It's OK, I am not totally closed to the idea that Moose might be right
>... but my experience with my only digital machine, compared with my
>lovely slides (at least some them are gorgeous) tells me otherwise at
>present.

If you are shooting JPEGs, that will certainly be true
<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/u-raw-files.shtml>.

There just isn't enough data space in an 8 bit file to hold the full
range of brightness that the sensor can capture, esp. in the shadow areas.

>Interestingly, the staff of Amateur Photographer are of my
>opinion, at present at least.

I haven't seen theri stuff, so I can't comment.

>Chris (for whom the discussion is at least as interesting as the
>conclusion ... ;-))

Oh yes!

Moose