[OM] Re: Autofocus using Vuescan

Subject: [OM] Re: Autofocus using Vuescan
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 18:57:46 +0100
That made oi laaarrff  Walt!
:-)
Thanks

I agree with your general premise Moose.  That philosophy is one of the
reasons I hate (with a passion) using the ghastly Windoze at work.
[How little integration can there possibly be between the components of
Office, Outlook Express or anything!]

But, as Walt says, the scanner focuses just fine, but you can always do
it a little better if you are using the Minolta software...  with
Vuescan, it is almost always perfect.

Chris
On 14 Aug 2004, at 14:45, Walt Wayman wrote:

> Oh, Moose, Moose, Moose...
>
> The Minolta 5400 autofocuses just fine, thank you.  There have been a
> few occasions, however, when I have felt that focusing manually
> produced an ever so slightly sharper scan.  Could well be my
> imagination.
>
> This whole subject came up probably because I have a natural distrust
> of allowing a machine of any sort to make a decision that I can make
> for myself.  (Part of the reason, I'm sure, why I despise computers.)
> If I can override the machine's judgment with my own, I'm pretty apt
> to do so, which is why I prefer to manually focus the scanner.  It
> comes down to doing something, not because it is really necessary, but
> JUST BECAUSE I CAN.
>
> Besides, it takes less than 10 seconds to pick a high contrast area of
> importance and focus on it, far less time than I usually spend
> fiddling with that hystericalgram, or historicalgram, or whatever that
> bumpy, graphy-looking thing is, and moving the little slider hickies
> for all those other adjustments I'm allowed the privilege of making.
>
> Hell, if, like long, long ago, they had put a lever on the steering
> column of the OM-4Runner that allowed me to advance and retard the
> ignition timing as I drive, I would use it regularly.  I hate the new
> TV because there's no fine tuning knob.  It may not need one, but I
> do.  My wife's Trailblazer has automatic headlights.  I hate when that
> happens.  I'm not so dumb I can't tell when it's dark.  The world
> today is full of these annoyances!
>
> In conclusion, I am contrary and unlikely to get any better.  Maybe
> I'm a control freak.  Could that be why I use an old, out-dated camera
> system -- because it lets me do things my way?
>
> Walt

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.