[OM] Re: Film vs. Digital @ equivalent 9 x 6 print then cropped and en

Subject: [OM] Re: Film vs. Digital @ equivalent 9 x 6 print then cropped and enlarged
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 16:31:05 -0400
At 03:31 PM 8/14/2004, Simon Worby wrote:

>Doesn't it depend how big your monitor is? And what resolution you're
>running it.

True, I was making my estimate at 96dpi.

>But I keep reading that it's possible to blow up a digital image to A4
>size, say roughly 12" x 8". I make that 240-ish dpi, which I classify as crap.

:-)  Don't knock it until you try it.  Unless you're the type that uses a
magnifying glass to view prints I think you'd be quite happy with a 240dpi
print.  I personally think that ~200dpi prints look quite nice when viewed
at a normal viewing range.  Of course, a lot depends on subject matter.

In any case, you're not going to get any idea of how a 6mp, or any other,
image will look in print by viewing it on a monitor at 200% just as I'm
sure you wouldn't be happy with a 4'x5' chemical print from 35mm.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson
Lilburn, GA