[OM] Re: Digital vs. Film discussions REQUEST TO DSLR USERS

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital vs. Film discussions REQUEST TO DSLR USERS
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 21:22:45 -0400
Well, I do.

In fact, I printed two prints today (well, a lot more than that, but two for
these purposes).

One was a 35mm negative shot with an Olympus OM-4T (OM content) and using
the Zuiko 90/2 Macro.  Film, if I recall, was Fuji 100 ASA print film (can't
remember the exact film).  The negative was scanned on a Nikon LS-4000
(4000ED) film scanner at 4000 dpi.

In other words, pretty close to the best possible setup.

The second was shot with the Nikon D100 (I think it was the D100, could have
been the D70, but doesn't matter).  Lens was the Nikkor 60/2.8 Micro.  Image
was 'upsided' in Photoshop CS directly from the 'in camera' image size to
the desire print size.

Both were sized to 360dpi at 20"x32" (matted for a 24"x36" frame).  Given
the large size of the print, both required 'upsizing'.

Output was to an Epson 7600 printer using Ultrachrome inks and Epson Premium
Photo Glossy 250 paper (24" roll).

Seems like a reasonable comparison.  The Zuiko is a better lens (smoother),
so film gets that advantage.

The results?

The D100 image, printed this size, is clearly superior.  Not a little bit. A
LOT better.  Grainless.  Perfect. Sharp.  Stunning.  The OM image is good.
>From the right viewing distance outstanding.  Up close, though, the grain is
very clearly visible. The scan also required considerably more effort to
'spot' for the inevitable dust spots.

Perhaps not the answer desired by most listees, but my personal experience.
Not unique to these prints either.  Today was my day to create the art for
my recently repainted living room.  A good mix of film and digital, but as
we move forward, it's all digital.

Tom