[OM] Re: Digital vs. Film discussions REQUEST TO DSLR USERS

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital vs. Film discussions REQUEST TO DSLR USERS
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:48:52 +0100
Tom Scales wrote:

<snip> One was a 35mm negative shot with an Olympus OM-4T (OM content) and using
> the Zuiko 90/2 Macro.  Film, if I recall, was Fuji 100 ASA print film (can't
> remember the exact film).  The negative was scanned on a Nikon LS-4000
> (4000ED) film scanner at 4000 dpi.
>
> In other words, pretty close to the best possible setup.
> <snip>

Without wanting to seem contrary, I think that that's about as unfair as you
can get to film.

4000 dpi will give an image a mere 5760x3840 from the negative. So you're
immediately forcing it to 22MP, which in itself is totally unfair. And then
there is the fact that you haven't got a precise known distance between the
scanner and the negative face, so it won't be in focus.

I'm sure there's more, but to my mind, the only fair way to "scan" negatives
for comparison would be to project them to about 24" x 18" and then scan in the
projection at 1200 dpi, giving a 622MP image to start work from...

Regards,

Simon