[OM] Re: What if...

Subject: [OM] Re: What if...
From: R.Jackson <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 07:05:05 -0700

On Aug 15, 2004, at 6:55 AM, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> You are operating under a misapprehension. Both Canon and Nikon make
> metal bodied lenses that have manual rings and focus automatically as
> well. Aren't the new E-1 lenses metal as well?

I had no idea. When friends have brought digital SLRs around they've
always had plastic-bodied lenses on them that made me wonder if
removing the cap might reveal potato chips. ;-)

I'll have to check into this. I've apparently been too harsh on the new
beasties.

>  You do pay for them though.

Doesn't that seem to be the case with all the good stuff? ;-)

>  And I used to think the sound of an OM shutter was great too,
> but the softly muted and sweet, elegant refinement of the sound of a
> D100 is hard to beat. Not all progress has been bad since the design of
> the OM shutter thirty years ago.

I love progress, don't get me wrong. It's just that it usually takes a
while for the new technology to get its aesthetic right. Like they say,
it's not just what you do, but how you do it. ;-)