[OM] Re: More Digital vs. Film and an apology

Subject: [OM] Re: More Digital vs. Film and an apology
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:40:58 -0400
Have a good trip. I'll weigh in on the debate. If you have really clean pixels
they can be interpolated more accurately. Grain makes such interpolation
difficult. Our perception of some images is more or less sensitive to the
sharpness. In a landscape image we notice the lack of detail more than
a nice flower macro. Perhaps we are used to the limited DOF in macro
and tolerate portions becoming blurry. Action shots with motion blur is
another. It is no wonder that the gigapixel image Moose pointed to
http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/gigapixel.htm
was done to a scene where you want to crawl into all that detail. And
wasn't done with a flower macro shot.

What I would like someone to figure out how to do is to take a macro
composite of a 3-D object where DOF is limited, then take multiple shots
where the Focus point is shifted slightly from shot to shot. Then combine
to get overall greater DOF than any one shot could do.

\A/yne