[OM] Re: Film vs. Digital @ equivalent 9 x 6 print then cropped and enl

Subject: [OM] Re: Film vs. Digital @ equivalent 9 x 6 print then cropped and enlarged
From: jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:19:57 +0200 (CEST)
My amazement level was even blown further away when I saw "I, Robot"
last week in a digital theatre.  The 'film' is projected onto a wide
screen (something like 20 metres wide) by a DLP with a 6MP resolution
(2MP for each colour).

See link for projector specification:
http://www.barco.com/digitalcinema/en/products/product_specs.asp?element=1721

IT WAS AMAZING!!
(Not a bad interpretation of the unbeatable Asimov idea either.)

My son, who is an anlaog projectionist at Vue, Reading (UK) thinks it's
the beginning of the end.  (He'd like to go back to turning the handle -
except when 2 miles of Fahrenheit 911 35mm film fell in a BIG heap on
the floor a couple of weeks back, 5 mins from the end of the film, and
they had to refund all the tickets :-(

I'm going to have to ask to see some of my 6MP images up there...!
br
jez

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 07:45:13 -0700, Winsor Crosby wrote

> I have been kind of surprised too and I don't know what is going on.
My