[OM] Re: OT- EBAY- A Fishy "eBay" message....

Subject: [OM] Re: OT- EBAY- A Fishy "eBay" message....
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 22:49:08 EDT
Hi Piers,

Yes, it was in HTML with the ebay logo and all. The link appeared active, but
I didn't click it to see. I have AOL configured to send plain text to the
list (at least it does most of the time)

I'm definitely convinced it was a hoax, and I sent a copy to ebay, but their
reply left me ready to scream. They sent a noncommittal reply to my question
(I simply asked them if it was a hoax.) They only said they passed it on to
those at ebay that investigate such things. What is someone to believe in the
meantime? I'm so friggin pissed off at their reply that i beleive I'm
completely
done with ebay forever. They CAN keep people safe, but they keep on protecting
the crooks at our expense.

And their term for these messages- "Spoof emails". "Spoof" just sounds so
harmless and innocent, doesn't it? Jesus, it's not a spoof, it's an attempt to
defraud people.

Here's their reply. Notice that they're interested in "protecting everyone
involved"!  Which means they're protecting the bad guys too...
------------------------------------
Hello,

Please be aware that we do take spoof and phishing issues very
seriously.

We are currently developing further ways to alert our members to these
matters. Currently we are regularly posting warnings on our announcement
board, as well as adding warning messages to My eBay pages, and warnings
attached to messages sent using the email forwarding system. Our aim is
to protect the nearly 86 million global buyers and sellers in the eBay
community from these types of threats.

The information you have provided has been referred to our special team
that investigates these issues. This team works very closely with ISPs,
other online entities, and law enforcement agencies to investigate and
take action against those persons responsible.

Please keep in mind that due to privacy concerns we are unable to give
specific details regarding this investigation. This is for the
protection of all persons involved.

We appreciate all your hard effort in reporting this information to
eBay.

Regards,

Ian
eBay SafeHarbor