[OM] Re: list members in Italy

Subject: [OM] Re: list members in Italy
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 00:17:53 -0700
I spent way too much time looking for drivers to make my Canoscan FS2710
work under XP before good 'ol Ed Hamrick came to my rescue on the
vuescan site.

All older SCSI scanners won't work on XP with the built-in drivers.
Windows will pretend to recognize at least some of them as devices and
say it has installed them - but it doesn't work. The anwser is ASPI
<http://download.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspi_471a2.exe>. It's an
Adaptec program, but I never found it on their site. It is supposed to
work for other manufacturers' SCSI cards too.

"The Advanced SCSI Programming Interface (ASPI) for Win32 was designed to
increase compatibility and simplify the connection of SCSI peripheral devices
like tape, CD-ROM, WORM,
magneto-optical, scanners, and other devices. It defines a protocol for SCSI
applications (called ASPI modules) to submit I/O requests to a single operating
system driver (called the ASPI manager). Access to the operating system driver
is made through a Dynamic Link Library named WNASPI32.DLL." So it's like a
layer that
mediates between Win2000/XP and SCSI devices.

Whatever, I installed it and suddenly the software, both Vuescan and Can*n,
could find the scanner.

Moose