[OM] Re: Digital vs. Film discussions

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital vs. Film discussions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:50:46 -0400
Simon said:
I'm not actually anti-digital at all (though I appreciate it may come
across that way), but I think what I'm struggling to get my head around
is how on earth a 2850x2238 image could survive being blown up to 24" by
18" when the resulting resolution would be only 120 dpi.
I don't profess to understand it either Simon except that I know it's
true.  We somehow have to shake our old notions that it takes 300 dpi to
make a good print.  How about 68 dpi?

I have just been reviewing an image that is the basis of a 30"x40" print
produced by Miller's Professional Imaging (millerslab.com).  The
original was shot on a C*non D*60 (3072x2048)using a C*non 28-135 image
stabilized zoom set at 35mm.  The shot is a stunning family portrait of
a 14 person family group shot on the beach at Cape Cod.

True, Miller's has seriously "res'ed-up" the image to be able to make a
30"x40" print.  And it's a family portrait and not an architectural
detail shot.  So, we're not expecting or even wanting exquisite detail.
  However, the man on the far end has a wrist watch on and, despite the
fact that the shot was taken from a distance of 11 meters one can
clearly see (from the position of the hands) that the time is 3:30.  I
also have a 2048x1360 version of this shot and one can still clearly see
the time on the watch.

Forget what you *think* is required and try the real thing.  You will be
astonished.

Chuck Norcutt