[OM] Re: Gayton Northamptonshire #3 and steam engines...

Subject: [OM] Re: Gayton Northamptonshire #3 and steam engines...
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:33:18 +0200

When I was at school at Dulwich College in London I used to watch a
double-headed wagon-lits Night Ferry from Paris to London pass by the
school grounds every morning, and later each day the Golden Arrow Pullman
Express from London to Paris. All drawn by fine steam locomotives! I would
have loved to have had an OM camera then, but most train photos were made
with Speed Graphics and the like (way beyond my puny financial means). On
the way home by electric train I liked to rush on to the footbridge
crossing the tracks if a steam train came by, so that I could breath in the
lovely sulphurous fumes....

Roger Key

Chris wrote:

Oh all right, you're right ;-)

I used to travel to school (boarding school) in a steam train, from
Paddington (London) to Bath (Somerset); I used to watch with delight as
we entered tunnels and all the smoke and steam billowed back down the
train!

When I lived in India, most of the trains were still steam.

But the diesels in some of the locomotives, Napier Deltics, were
wonderful workhorses ...

Chris