[OM] Re: blue skies, o where have you gone? (slightly OT)

Subject: [OM] Re: blue skies, o where have you gone? (slightly OT)
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:17:26 +0100
The formation of the contrails is based on the temperature and
humidity, Iwert, as the efflux from jets is pretty standard.  Weather
men can predict the level at which contrails will start ("Contra")But
air traffic has increased almost exponentially over the last 20 years.
It is pretty dreadful and is based on cheap fuel (untaxed).  We do not
need this amount of air traffic and I wish we could go back to the days
of regulation.

http://www.contrails.nl/

In the Benelux nations you have much more than your fair share of
airports, airways and motorways.  It is difficult not to live in sight
or sound of a huge road or airport – even in the Ardennes.  I just hope
that we can change to a government which will resist building yet
another runway and that the otherwise-useless European Commission will
be brave with more taxation of fuel.

[OM content] However, I do enjoy waiting for fresh trails as an
airliner chugs off towards the north or northwest (I live northwest of
Stansted and Heathrow).  Yesterday I was armed with 2SP, 35-105 and
Olympus Orange filter and XP2 photographing lovely willows (pale
leaves) and fluffy clouds.  The occasional contrail was part of the
composition.
On 18 Aug 2004, at 8:47, iwert wrote:

> a slightly OT observation:
>
> I remember from my childhood (not that long ago: 80's and 90's) clear
> blue
> summer skies. You know: no cloud in sight till the horizon and a steel
> blue
> sky.
> We still have these days here sometimes, but what is distracting is the
> amount of condensation trails from airplanes in these skies. Did
> airtraffic
> increase so much lately (the last 10 years), or did the jet-engines
> change
> their functioning, leaving longer lasting condensation trails? I
> remember
> looking at the planes when I still had the time to lie on my back
> looking at
> the sky, and the condenstaion trails mostly dissapeared quickly. (We
> also
> had a NATO base close by, and watching the awacs, starfighters, and
> later
> f16s was always impressive. Hearing the exercising bombings as well, I
> even
> remeber a whole batalion standing in our street on exercise)
>
> I am living in Belgium, close to say, 8 big airports within a 200 km
> radius.
>
> OM content: these trails are "spoiling" my summer pictures as well,
> however
> creative effects can be obtained as well!
>
> Just an observation...
>
> Iwert.

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker