[OM] Re: Digital Oly and Macs

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Oly and Macs
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:28:28 -0700
Regardless of what anyone thinks the percentage is, and no one really
knows, Apple's guess is that the number of Macs out there is about 25
million. Seems like Oly would think that was a large enough group to go
after considering the competition among digital camera makers. But they
ignored OM users for a long time too.

Most estimates I have have seen are 10 to 15%. It is higher than annual
sales percentage because they do not turn over as quickly. Most Macs
are in people's homes and small businesses, not large corporations.
They do not get turned over regularly after being depreciated.  So if
you subtract the corporate PCs that will never see Photoshop  or have
memory reader connected the percentage of potential Mac users is
higher. It is just like the web was 30-40% Macs until corporations
started using it. That may have been skewed because early PC software
was so difficult to use and many home PC sat there unused.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA