[OM] Re: Wireless HI-FI connect

Subject: [OM] Re: Wireless HI-FI connect
From: "IanG" <I@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:12:47 +0100
Thanks Mike. The house and interior partition walls are of breeze block
construction set on a concrete platform built in the 1950's before the UK
discovered electrical appliances - certainly before hi-fi reached these
shores. A few years back we refitted the kitchen and found that we had
wiring for one light and one 13amp appliance but there were THREE separate
gas appliance connection points. In fact, as I recall, the whole of the
ground floor had a total of 6 power outlets and only 3 on the upper floor.

The house was not built for anything remotely like the number of gadgets now
available and certainly not for running speaker cables.

In the same vein, I was brought up with my grandparents in a council house
built on an estate for the Ford factory (Dagenham). I can still remember
them having gas lighting and the joy on my grandmothers face when a gas
water heater was fitted and we had hot running water for the first time.
Electricity arrived some time later. Of course there was no bathroom in the
house. A 2 bedroomed mid terrace council house, with my grandparents, their
3 sons, my mother and her husband and myself and my brother. Cosy. Well not
so cosy as the house had a very large crack in it as a result of a WW2 bomb
landing a little too close.

There is an old pre Monty Python sketch about being brought up in a matchbox
in the gutter of the Old Kent Road (well, similar sort of story line). We
would have found that spacious :-)

OM content. I'm seriously considering going back there for the TOPE urban
entry. For disbelievers the address is 80 Grafton Road, Dagenham, Essex. No
post code as they hadn't been invented when I lived there.