[OM] Re: Aug/04 NatGeo... what camera is DA Harvey holding?

Subject: [OM] Re: Aug/04 NatGeo... what camera is DA Harvey holding?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:38:08 -0700
The the clue you left out. "Professional."  Kind of a Fuji trade mark.

The Leica is a multi lens camera with focal lengths from 28 to 135mm
that make a direct connection to the rangefinder. You need a long base
rangefinder with a long lens. The base is longer on the Mamiya 7 than
than the one that appears in your Fuji picture and it pretty well poops
out before 150mm. Some complaints about focus errors with that lens.

The Fuji 6x9s are fixed focal length cameras all of the wide angle
variety. The rangefinder base does not have to be as long, nor are
slight focus errors as critical with wide angle and super wide angle
lenses. They are big. When I was thinking about a medium format camera
I looked and handled a lot of them at the local "camera show". swapmeet
thingy. I remember being shocked at how big and heavy the Fujis were. I
thought the Mamiya was a much friendlier camera that way although
probably not as indestructible.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA