[OM] Stupid is as stupid does

Subject: [OM] Stupid is as stupid does
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 18:41:19 +0000
I'm celebrating this afternoon.  Yesterday, I picked up my best Graflex XLRF (a
wonderful old 6x9 camera from the '60s and '70s that uses interchangeable
lenses, for those who may not know) and replaced the 58/5.6 Rodenstock
Grandagon with a 100/2.8 Zeiss Planar.  (That's right; it uses pretty damn good
lenses!)  But, much to my horror, with the 100mm lens, the rangefinder wasn't
working right.  Cussing and fiddling solved nothing, and another beer provided
no insight, so I abandoned my intended Velvia photographic project and put the
camera back in the cupboard.

This morning, I dug out the service manual for the XLRF, rounded up the
necessary tools, cleared off a space to work so that I might attempt to remedy
this malfunction.  Then, just as I was about to start disassembly, that little
light bulb we often see in cartoons but much too seldom in real life came on
above my head.  There's a button on top of the XLRF body that, after changing
lenses, has to be pushed to reset infinity focus.  One push of said button and
the problem was solved!

I just wish I weren't as dumb sometimes as I am sometimes.

OM content: No reset button to push, so they make being dumb less a handicap.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --