[OM] Re: Loading E1 ORF files with linear gamma

Subject: [OM] Re: Loading E1 ORF files with linear gamma
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:08:01 -0400
Not that I have an answer for you, but have you also seen
http://www.computer-darkroom.com/incamera/incamera.htm
No mention of linear gamma or working with ORF files.
The site http://www.aim-dtp.net is interesting. I don't understand fully
the "Gamma Induced Errors" section, as to why the errors happen.

Isn't the gamma part of the ICC profile itself? I've been trying to get a handle
on color profiling for some time now and I'm still very confused, to say the
least.
According to the book "Photoshop Color Corrrection: ..." by Michael Kieran
the color space itself is an ICC profile. You can, for instance, create a
new ICC profile based on the Adobe RGB 1998 color space, but change the
gamma to something else. Adobe 1998 has a gamma of 2.2, which
produces darker images. You can then assign the new profile. What do
the programs you have tried do with the embedded ICC profile?
Can you just strip off the ICC profile and replace with a linear gamma
color space, or has something already been done to the data?

I've read that the E-1 raw data has a wider gamut than Adobe RGB
color space.

I wish I understood all this better. I feel like such an idiot with all this
color profile stuff. I've read lot's of explanations, but I still don't know
what the programs are actually doing to the data.

Wayne