[OM] Re: Resistance is futile

Subject: [OM] Re: Resistance is futile
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:44:58 -0700
I agree. The attraction of the new lenses is for their small size and
weight. Assuming iwert is responding to my post about the new lenses, my
interest was not in the specific lenses, but in what they say about the
direction Can*n is taking. Although they will continue to produce higher
sensor size true pro cameras, they believe the sensor size of the
30-60-10-20-300D bodies is sufficient and are producing a line of lenses
for that size sensor. I consider this good news that confirms Oly's
choice of sensor size for the E-1, which is really not much smaller than
the 20D, especially if cropped for 4x5, 8x10 etc. proportions.

Winsor is correct, All the major players produce high speed pro quality
lenses, both prime and zoom. In the case of the 20D, the Can*n L series
lenses are fast and first rate.... and expensive. In my case, I passed
on the 18-55/3.5-5.6 in favor of a 24-85/3.5-4.5, roughly 37-136mm
equivalent. And what's that on the OM-4 over there? A Zuiko
35-105/3.5-4.5? Oh, too slow for me..... You say Oly made faster primes
and even a faster, but much larger, heavier and more expensive fast
zoom? A 35-80/2.8? Oh, they made different combos of size, speed and
price? Sweet.....

I love Oly and Zuikos, but it isn't fair to compare apples to softballs
and disparage the one designed for a differnt purpose than what you prefer.

And yes, iso 800 on a Can*n is lower noise than 400 on an E-1. Does it
really matter where you get the speed? And by the way, the 4.5-5.6 model
is 27-136m equiv. and has Image Stabilization,another way to get 'speed'.

Moose