[OM] Re: More Ilford news and Agfa too

Subject: [OM] Re: More Ilford news and Agfa too
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:06:49 -0700
Not just Ilford.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/techcorporatenews/2004-08-19-
agfa-all-in_x.htm

It is maybe understandable that Ilford without much else in the way of
business to support its black and white. But seeing Agfa dump film and
have its stock surge when it had ten percent of the film market is
worrisome to film users. It was a part of their total business. Nothing
gets subsidized these days. Interestingly they announced the
discontinuance of medium format films back in March. Apparently volume
and profit is calculated on each product and medium format was first to
go.  Kodak is profitable, from their digital sales. I don't know about
Fuji, but my impression is that their digital business is not doing as
well.

I sort of thought medium format would hang on, but evidently even
though a lot of us have medium format cameras they are not our daily
shooters. So not only are there fewer people that own the equipment,
but they do not buy the film quantities. So they may disappear even
before there is a reasonable digital alternative for them. Sad.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA