[OM] Re: ID this bird please?

Subject: [OM] Re: ID this bird please?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:22:09 -0700
As the caption to one shot
<http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/resources/d_chalfant/pcd3910_020.jpg/view.html>

says "Great white heron, a white phase of the great blue heron, found
only in Florida" Otherwise, Great Blue Herons are various shades of
blue, gray and sometimes a bit of greenishness.

The bird in question is clearly a form of egret/heron, the difference is
more in the naming than the birds. However, my North American bird books
don't cover India.  :-)

With nothing in the picture to make scale clear, it appears it may be
too big (?) for a Snowy Egret in non-breeding plumage, although
otherwise shape and proportion look right. It's hard to tell if the beak
color, esp at the base, is right in this shot. The beak color is wrong
and proportions aren't right  for a Great Egret.

So best guess, an Asian variety of egret or a Snowy Egret if they occur
there.

Moose