[OM] Re: Resistance is futile

Subject: [OM] Re: Resistance is futile
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:42:24 -0700
Mickey Trageser wrote:

>Schnozz,
>Before you rely too heavily on the notion of using your Zuikos a lot on a
>digibody, clamp that dof preview button down and go for a shoot. Suddenly
>the joy of that luscious glass pales when you have to do that stop down
>metering.

It's not that hard to count clicks. You really have to focus at full
aperture for any accuracy.

>Now imagine doing your focusing on a screen with no focus aids,
>with a neutral density filter on,

Well, our experience differs. Finder brightness is fine for pretty much
everything but rather dark places.

>looking only at 50-60% of the scene.

Huh? You only see part of the usable field of view of the lens design,
but you see pretty much all of the image you will capture. At least as
good coverage s on film SLRs.

>You get the idea. Zuikos are marvelous on the bodies they were made for, but
>hung on a digibody, the charm of the work flow, ease of handling and
>intuitive nature of the OM/Zuiko pairings is all but lost. Now, if you do a
>lot of still life, and really take your time anyway, it might not hurt so
>much, but focus issues and dimness of the viewfinder remain obstacles.

As you say... I don't do much action or low light photography and
haven't found viewfinder brightness an issue. Viewfinder size and focus
with wide angle lenses are genuine issues for me as well. I've found
focus from 50mm on up to be OK. For those for whom WA is important, I
think an AF WA zoom or a couple of AF primes would be necessary.

>I must admit that I like the 'Borg' units......... I've thrown
>a lot of money at Borg, Tomran and Sagmi glass.

Any comments on AF performance with the Tomran and Sagmi vs. Borg lenses?

> AF is both a + and a minus.
>Great, when it works... When it doesn't, there's little there to aid your
>manual focus, and it's risky to shoot too wide open.
>
>If you were hoping to pacify yourself during the transition to filmless
>shooting with the Zuiko glass, I'm sorry to sound grim about it. But that's
>my experience.  Not a total loss, but also, not what I'd hoped.

I tried it out first by borrowing a D60 and trying it with some Zuikos
and other OM mount lenses. I assume the issues are about the same with
the Oly adapter and an E-1. Certainly there are some limitations, but
I'm quite happy to be able to use a number of my OM mount lenses. So
far, I have only 1 EOS mount lens and don't feel particularly limited.

Just another perspective.........

Moose