[OM] Re: Welford Northamptonshire #6

Subject: [OM] Re: Welford Northamptonshire #6
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:23:51 +0100
Narrow-boats are goods-carriers.  In most cases now they have been converted
to travelling living quarters.  That is not the same as houseboats, which
are usually purpose designed for living on water, with the ability to moor
elsewhere occasionally, but are generally static at the mooring, and usually
not on canals but on rivers.  Being purpose designed, a house boat would be
better proportioned for living than a narrow boat, which is more of a
furnished corridor!  You also find converted boats - but the same applies,
because they are not narrow, they are easier to live in.

The pond-ish area in Regents Park will most likely be the Regents Canal, and
living quarters there I would expect to be narrow-boats, due to the width of
the canal. Of course, it was the width of the canal which determined the
'width' of the narrow boat - less than half the width of the canal, to
permit two-way traffic.

Houseboats can be seen on the Thames - for example at Cheyne Walk in
Chelsea.

Piers