[OM] Re: ID this bird please?

Subject: [OM] Re: ID this bird please?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:34:22 -0400
Roland said:
Looks like a great blue heron. See, for instance
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/pictures/Ardea.html

Siddiq wrote:
 >>http://users2.ev1.net/~wesiddiquis/siddiq/bird.jpg
 >>
 >>shot in rice paddy in india. more where that came from, but trying to
 >>figure out what it is. kingfisher? crane? don't think heron
Definitely not a Great Blue.  I don't know whether the Great Blue
appears outside of North/South America but the Great Blue has a yellow
bill and legs.  The bird in question has a black bill and legs and does
not appear to have the small crest of the Great Blue.

Note also, for western hemishpere observers, the "white phase" of the
Great Blue (Ardea herodius) is supposedly restricted to Florida.  The
Great Egret (Ardea alba) is a closer match since it has black legs but
still has a yellow bill.  I think the ID on this one will have to go to
someone familiar with the birds of India.

Chuck Norcutt