[OM] Re: Zuiko 85mm f2 bokeh

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 85mm f2 bokeh
From: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:12:13 +1000

> Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

The bokeh does not seem all that different to me at this scale. The
exposure and apparent sharpness of the bottom shot may be due to a
slightly different angle on the cross and higher contrast? Also the
statue on the tombstone behind the cross does not look as smooth as the
Zuiko shot. However, you mentioned you used some sharpening, which
could also affect the character of the bokeh quite a bit.

...sharpening was just the "sharpen" feature in PaintshopPro, it's usually
quite subtle
and in this case after I applied it I didn't notice any change to the out of
focus areas

Note also the
brown objects on the right just below the tree, in the bottom shot it is
darker. Darker darks will give the impression of higher contrast and
most people will like the puncher result.

...Contrast, colour balance and density looked slightly different comparing the
negs
on the light box, can't say that I can "read" the colour balance of a colour
neg though.

As to color, I personally don't trust the scanner with negative film.
Since the density range of negative film is less than slide film, any
exposure deviations can result in greater changes. My experience with
scanning Fuji film with the 4th layer is that it is even more
sensitive. It is very easy to get a yellow or green cast from the 4th
layer. Slight exposure differences with negatives really require
different ICC profiles, which is not practical. Which scanner are you
using?

...these were scanned at the lab, I get a CD as a byproduct of producing the
prints,
not sure what adjustments are made to the scans.

A better test in my mind is to use slide film for the test. It is
easier to get consistent scans with slide film. And turn off all
sharpening as that will change the bokeh. Maybe you could post a full
resolution cropped section to better see the bokeh?

...I can post a full res scan of a section.

...Frankly I was expecting a more dramatic difference in the bokeh of these 2
lenses,
so just used some of the cheap film I had on hand (and was already loaded in
one
body).  I didn't expect it would be a difficult decision to choose between
these lenses !

...Wayne

Wayne Harridge

http://lrh.structuregraphs.com