[OM] OT Property values, was Welford Northamptonshire

Subject: [OM] OT Property values, was Welford Northamptonshire
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:57:59 +0100
Hmm, that would be good: being able to offset your negative equity
against tax.  But somehow I cannot see Mr Gordon Brown doing that for
anyone in this country if the bubble bursts and people are left owning
a property that is worth less than their mortgage debt ...

Chris

On 27 Aug 2004, at 18:36, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> It is the same here, high appreciation. Most young couples cannot
> afford to buy a house unless they both have high income jobs or they
> have well off parents who will loan them the down payment. Property
> appreciates here normally, but sometimes there is a real estate value
> bubble that bursts. If you sell and have a loss you I believe you can
> deduct that loss against your income at tax time. That happened a few
> years ago and it took several years for values to return. That may be
> when you read about our real estate market. Most people are now exempt
> from taxes on capital appreciation when they sell their homes.  I
> suspect the current bubble will burst after our election whichever
> party wins.
>

> Winsor
> Long Beach, California
> USA
> On Aug 27, 2004, at 10:00 AM, Chris Barker wrote:

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.

+44 (0)7092 251126