[OM] Re: 8/27 fragment of my day

Subject: [OM] Re: 8/27 fragment of my day
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:37:23 -0700
The TCON-17 sounds a lot like the 1.7x made for the IS-3 and similar
cameras. That converter has 55mm threads, and is a bit big and heavy for the
C2020-Z that I have... it has 'extra' glass in the front to somewhat
compensate for the light lost to the magnification. As a 'matched' add-on
for the IS cameras this appears to work pretty well, and of course the TTL
exposure compensates for any slight light lost. I notice that when I use the
1.7x on the front of the 135/2.8 Zuiko the exposure as metered by the OM-4T
shows some light loss... probably just noticable due to the meter readout
making it visible... seems like about 1/3 to 1/2 stop, less than might be
'expected' for 1.7x magnification... you wind up with about a 230/3.5 or so.

Adapters added onto the front of the lens usually cause minimal light loss,
compared with the light loss of a teleconverter mounted between lens and
camera body (which of course won't work with the fixed lens digicams...).
Quality seems to be pretty close in the case of the Olympus-brand front of
the lens converters.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...