[OM] Zuiko 50 mm 1.8 cleaning

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 50 mm 1.8 cleaning
From: "Gaillot" <gaillot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:15:01 -0400
I have a 29 year old 50 mm F1.8 lens for my Olympus OM 1 that I would like
to have the internal elements cleaned and the entire lens serviced.  I was
wondering if the cost would be prohibitive.  I expect that the entire lens
will have to be disassembled.  If you look through the rear element you can
see a lot of dust and some water marks (water was from a dip in the river
due to a canoeing accident 19 years ago (it was quickly dried in a WARM
oven).  Looking through the front of the lens and twisting the focusing
barrel will show the dust and water marks moving in and out (you do not see
the same movement looking through the rear element). I have used the lens
continuously since the soaking.  The diaphragm operates smoothly, snaps back
rapidly, and there is no sign of rust.  The lens has no external damage or
flaws.  I also do not see the effects of the water marks or dust on
photographs.  The lens is retired now,  but it will bug me to leave it
sitting in a drawer, not being used.  As a point of reference, I recently
purchase a similar reconditioned (black nose) lens from Olympus for $50.