[OM] Don't quit the day job (was "8/27 fragment of my day")

Subject: [OM] Don't quit the day job (was "8/27 fragment of my day")
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:34:51 -0500
At 11:26 AM 8/28/2004 -0400, Wayne S. you wrote:
>Although I have not been commenting on all the photos, I do enjoy them.

Thanks. Comments welcome but certainly not necessary.

It's interesting what generates comments though.  I often work at a
difficult subject and setting, knowing that it will never be a great
photograph, but I'm just interested in the task or the subject.  I'm often
more than satisfied with even a ho-hum result if it is at least
competent.  Then there are things that people seem instinctively to love
(flowers, for example), but the photograph is a no-brainer.  Maybe the easy
ones buy you a little credibility to try something strange or off-beat.  I
don't have many photos of people and I don't think I take good photos of
people I don't know fairly well, and yet I get asked to shoot peoples'
weddings on the basis of my non-people photographs!

I remember being at a sight in one of the national parks and the light was
good and there were fantastic clouds to work with.  A guy who was obviously
a pro arrived just after we had set up, stopped and looked at what we were
looking at and said, "This will pay for my trip."  I felt envious, because
it wasn't going to pay for my trip, but I also felt somewhat violated.

>Somedays there is so much one can photograph and the next day
>it seems there is nothing. Mostly because of my state of mind. I have a
>lot of photographs that are also in my mind only, unfortunately.
>You know, the light and shadows are just perfect, but you are on
>your way somewhere less important.
>
>\A/yne

I had to have a my portrait taken last Wed.  The photographer was using a
D1 and I asked him how he liked it.  He said he was waiting for the D2
because the D1 buffer is too small.  He said he misses film because there
is a certain "pop" with film (interesting for a portrait guy to say, and I
assume he was talking about B&W portraiture, rather than color).  He said
they use film now only for some "high end" jobs.

Sad thing happened when I mentioned my shooting while walking between
buildings or over lunch and the occasional trips with my bro just to shoot
landscape.  He said, "I just don't do any personal photography
anymore.  After doing it all day, I just don't feel like doing it in my off
hours."  He was really sad and apologetic about it.  I felt like an
enthusiastic convert chatting with a jaded old priest who'd lost his faith.

Don't quit the day job, I guess.

Joel W.