[OM] Re: SR44s

Subject: [OM] Re: SR44s
From: Matt Boland <mattb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 22:00:31 +1000
Ahhh, I had a look at the silver oxides I have and they are Energizer
EPX76's. On the Energizer site I found 3 references to 357's. One was a
picture of a battery with 357/EPX76 written underneath, the other two
were links to data sheets with "303/357" and plain "357" as the links.
The data sheets for the EPX76 and the 303/357 had relatively bad
discharge curves, while the discharge curve for the plain 357 was flat
as a pancake.

The link was

http://data.energizer.com/datasheets/frames.htm

I'll give the plain 357s a go. Does anybody know if the 303/357s are
marked as such? Just so I don't buy them by accident. Is the marking on
the good 357's packet just "357"?

Moose wrote:
> A 357 battery has a stated energy capacity of 175 mAH. At 10ua, that is
> 17,500 hours, 729 days or almost exactly 2 years. As the sainted Walt,
> curmudgeon extraordinaire, has said:
> "And if there's anybody who hasn’t heard -- a newbie maybe -- these
> Bunny 357s are the way to go. My newest OM-4Ti, if it makes it until
> mid-August, will have gone TWO YEARS on one set, and it's
> had a fair number of 36-exp. rolls run through it. Plus, I don't bother
> with such questionable measures as setting to the red or taking the
> batteries out. I figure my battery cost is about 1% of my film
> expenditure, not counting processing. Even my oldest OM-4, circa 1983,
> an alleged battery-eater whose beep goes on forever, goes 6-8 months on
> a pair.
>
> This is probably the single most useful thing I have learned in my time
> on this list!"
> Walt Wayman
> John Hermanson has said about the 'red' modes and current drain.:
> "That'll keep the meter from turning on if the release is accidentally
> pressed but it unfortunately, won't eliminate the baseline drain (around 5
> micro amps)."
> I do know that later OM4/4T(i) bodies had lower current drain that
> earlier ones. There has also been considerable research and experience
> which suggests that the Energizer 357 is, as Walt says above, the best
> overall battery for these cameras. As John H. put it:
> "Yes, there are a lot of equivalent silver oxides which can be used in
> the 2S thru 4Ti (SR44, G13, MS76, S76, KS76). 357s will have the longest
> life in high drain cameras. They often test as high as 1.59V."
>
> Finally, all 357s can replace SR44 and SR44W batteries, but not all
> batteries marked SR44 seem to be up to the job. Sony marks their 357s
> also as SR44W. Although I can't pin it down, I think some or all SR44
> batteries may be the low drain design and SR44Ws high drain. For more
> detail on high/low drain and related battery stuff, look at my post "Re:
> Battery Question" 5/1/04. Joe Gwinn puts forward a method for testing
> the condition of 357s i his post "Re: [OM] Battery Eaters (testing 357s
> with a DMM and a 100-ohm resistor)" of 9/11/02.
>
> Most simply, just buy a bunch of Energizer 357s, cheap on the 'Bay, at
> <http://www.twincitysupply.net/catalog/> or the other guy one of us
> keeps touting and I keep forgetting. Put fresh ones in the cameras,
> spares in the bag, replace when they die and be relaxed and happy
> knowing you are doing the best with the least effort and worry and the
> least cost. I always have at least 10 of them in the fridge.
>
> Moose
>
> Matt Boland wrote:
>

>>What is the average current drain in an OM4Ti when it's just lying
>>around? Mine sits at around 10uA whether in the manual 60/bulb modes or
>>in any other mode. I checked because I put in some new SR44's and they
>>lasted about a month. I reckon they were flat. Does anybody know how low
> [...]

Matt Boland (BEng)                  Phone  : 61 7 5594 9824
R&D Engineer                        Mobile : 61 4 0835 1421
Odyx Corporation Pty Ltd            email  : mattb@xxxxxxxxxxx