[OM] Re: SR44s + old posts from Tim

Subject: [OM] Re: SR44s + old posts from Tim
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:55:12 -0400
Nothing like having such technical breath on this list. It must speak
to some underlying nature that the OM camera attracts that is reflected
in this list's membership.

What Tim is proposing is a more dynamic test, showing that the battery
chemistry changes the internal resistance fairly quickly over time, or
that the internal resistance is a bit non-linear with load? That makes
sense to me, and correlates with how I see battery failures in the OM -
failures occur when I go from normal exposure to long exposures. Longer
exposures are more apt to create battery failures. When I want to do
really long night exposures, good batteries are a must. The batteries
are may do just fine with 1/30 exposure, but the 8 second one kills the
battery, and  the camera locks up.

I've always wondered, when doing the self test with the OM-4t, the
loudness of the beep and the manor in which it goes BEEEEOOOOpp
almost seems to be telling me how good the batteries are. Whether
they are just "good enough" or whether they are "really good". OK maybe I'm
hearing things, or I've been spending too much time with these OM bods.

The E-1 really doesn't tell you much, except when you've just taken 12
shots in a row, it is writing away, and by the way, the battery is
getting low, so you wonder if it will write all 12 exposures before
battery fails and camera locks-up. Mine locked up the other day, I
could not figure out why, but I had to remove the battery to recover,
and I lost about 8 shots in the frame buffers. The more complicated the
cameras get, the more complicated and inexplicable the failures.

Thanks to Tim for the great info. The OM-4t thrives on good batteries.
If you put good batteries in, it will do great things compared to the
digital power-hogs of today.

Wayne