[OM] Re: Film and Film Sales

Subject: [OM] Re: Film and Film Sales
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:56:38 -0400

On 8/30/2004 at 4:13 PM GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx wrote:

>In a message dated 8/30/04 2:11:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
>wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
><< Are Kodak and Fuji the last remaining film makers now?
>

> Winsor >>
>
>Hey guys,
>I spent a week in mid summer at the Sante Fe Workshop with my daughter.
>The
>Friday night week ending dinner had Kodak President and COO Antonio Perez
>as a
>guest speaker. Perez said 1.1 billion rolls of film were sold world wide
>in
>2003. Industry experts expect film sales to decline over the next 2 or so
>years
>by about 100 million rolls per year giving a year 2006 sales of 900
>million
>rolls. Maybe. Could be less or more. Another interesting comment was that
>60 %
>of the world's population had never had their picture taken. That's a
>tough
>survey to complete on schedule, but does say a lot about the growth
>potential for
>imaging systems. Perez also indicated that Kodak was "firmly committed" to
>film sales and development would continue on new products.

For how long?  Not that I'm expecting a air-tight committment, but heck, he
could have meant "for the next two weeks or so."

Kodak purchased
>20%
>of the Lucky Film Co. of China in 2003. Perez did not indicate what films
>Lucky
>makes or would make in this partnership. Perez seemed like an OK guy, but
>is
>still reeling from his comments he made about film's demise at Kodak.

No doubt.  Does this mean that given the uncertainty of supplies of B&W from
Ilford and Agfa (the management buyout may not make it past infancy), are we to
stock up on Bergger and other specialty companies, or should we give in to the
Yellow Father?

>Also,
>Joe McNally had a 15 minute presentation detailing the first all digital
>article
>in NG. He used a 4.1 MP Nikon and indicated that the MP count was the
>least
>of his worries.

What, pray tell, were his largest worries?  Sounds like an interesting
presentation!

Earl