[OM] Re: OM40 / OMG OM2 OM2n and T10 Ring Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: OM40 / OMG OM2 OM2n and T10 Ring Flash
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:49:05 -0700
As Jim says, the OM40 is the OMPC in the US, not the OMG.

The OTF functions of the OM40 are essentially the same as the OM-4
rather than the older OM-2(n), just to be precise.

In any case, the T-1 should work properly with it. I have noticed that
OM40(PC)s seem to have poorer quality metal/coatings on the flash shoe
contacts than the single digit bodies. I have had odd flash problems
with them that were cleared up by careful, thorough cleaning of the
contacts on the flast shoe and the flash. It could be as simple as
slightly different pressure, location and/or cleanliness on the part of
the T-1contacts vs. the T32 combined with slightly corroded flash shoe
contacts. At least that is one simple explanation that has been true for
me in the past that might solve your problem.

I don't know if you are aware of it, but the 2 Oly specific contacts on
the bottom of the T series flashes, including the T-1, are spring loaded
and pushed back up into the foot when not on an Oly shoe. The little
plastic prong on the bottom of the foot that does this must drop into
the dimple on the shoe to drop the contacts down. Anything in the dimple
which keeps the prong from fully deploying will reduce the pressure of
the flash contacts on the shoe contacts. It's a clever design, but less
reliable than fixed springy contacts because it lowers the contacts
against the shoe rather than having them wipe across, which tends to
clean off corrosion. The single contact in the center that is used by
all shoes is fixed and wipes across the shoe contact into place.

I hope that helps.

Moose