[OM] Re: OM40 / OMG OM2 OM2n and T10 Ring Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: OM40 / OMG OM2 OM2n and T10 Ring Flash
From: Michael Kopp <mkopp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 21:37:36 +1200
At 17:49 -0700 2/9/04, Moose wrote:
>As Jim says, the OM40 is the OMPC in the US, not the OMG.
>
>The OTF functions of the OM40 are essentially the same as the OM-4
>rather than the older OM-2(n), just to be precise.
>
>In any case, the T-1 should work properly with it. I have noticed that
>OM40(PC)s seem to have poorer quality metal/coatings on the flash shoe
>contacts than the single digit bodies. I have had odd flash problems
>with them that were cleared up by careful, thorough cleaning of the
>contacts on the flast shoe and the flash. It could be as simple as
>slightly different pressure, location and/or cleanliness on the part of
>the T-1contacts vs. the T32 combined with slightly corroded flash shoe
>contacts. At least that is one simple explanation that has been true for
>me in the past that might solve your problem.

Bingo. Wish I'd received this before I discovered all this with
bleeding hard work. Close examination, trial and error, and contact
cleaning with a mild abrasive pad were employed ...

Et voila! Flash! At different intensities depending on distance and f/stop.

Haven't tested with a roll of film yet, but seems reasonable.

Surprised I missed it the first time, as I usually look at
connections and contacts first -- all of them.

>I don't know if you are aware of it, but the 2 Oly specific contacts on
>the bottom of the T series flashes, including the T-1, are spring loaded
>and pushed back up into the foot when not on an Oly shoe.

Yes, knew that, but thanks for the reminder. Very thorough answer.

>The little
>plastic prong on the bottom of the foot that does this must drop into
>the dimple on the shoe to drop the contacts down. Anything in the dimple
>which keeps the prong from fully deploying will reduce the pressure of
>the flash contacts on the shoe contacts. It's a clever design, but less
>reliable than fixed springy contacts because it lowers the contacts
>against the shoe rather than having them wipe across, which tends to
>clean off corrosion. The single contact in the center that is used by
>all shoes is fixed and wipes across the shoe contact into place.
>
>I hope that helps.

Yes, cleaning the flash contact prongs and the camera shoe contact
pads did the trick.

Cheers,

Michael Kopp
Wellington, New Zealand