[OM] Re: OM77AF - To buy or not to buy?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM77AF - To buy or not to buy?
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 17:27:01 +0200
Hi Walt,

OM 77 AF (or OM 707, as they are called over here)
sell for an average of 42,- EUR here in Germany
on eB*y (Germany), with an standard derivation
of 23,- EUR, meaning most sell in the range
of 19,- to 65,- EUR.

They often suffer from a broken battery latch
(fixable by tape though).
They are heavy and (in my opinion) pretty slow
in action and bad in low light (where AF would
be especially nice).
Look for the battery handle: either model 100
(no built in mini flash) or model 300 (built
in mini flash).

AF Lenses are generally cheap:
the AF 35-70/4 zoom averages t a mere 18,- EUR
the AF 35-70/3.5-4.5 goes for 37,- EUR
the AF 28-85/3.5-4.5 counts at 50,- EUR
the AF 70-210/3.5-4.5 has a tag of 53,- EUR

Generally the OM 77 / 707 is NOT considered
a genius craftsmanship from Olympus -- at
least that is what I read from newsgroup
comments and other sources.

So make the seller cut off the 5 at the end
of the price, spend those 17 bucks and do
your railroad experiments ...

Andreas